Sunday, May 31, 2009

A week after a twenty year late prom....



Alright, so last weekend was the Dudley Manlove annual 80's prom, and now that I have had a few days to reflect back on it I have a few things to say.

First of all, AWESOME!  Man, it was killer rocking out the stage at Neumos with hits by Journey, Simple Minds, Duran Duran and Asia.  Yes, for all of you peeps out there that said you would come and did not show up, you totally missed it!  I gotta say, this was way better than my prom!  I recommend to all high schools forking out the money to hire our band to come and play prom!  
My close friend Randy Wilhite (If you don't know this guy, you should.  Me and Randy have made some epic memories together that I will never forget.  Shout out to Jeff also for coming to help!  Good guys, good guys!) was taking 'prom pictures' the night of the show and it was hilarious.  You can check some of them out at  this website.  Classic 80's cheezy prom pics!  What a blast.

Neumo's seemed absolutely packed when we were there playing but at the end of the night it turns out that we only had a little over half the venue full, and it holds 600.  It used to hold 800, but hell, I do not know where all those people would go.  Someone told me that they ended up closing the upstairs, and supposedly because it was memorial day weekend it was supposed to be a hard night to get people to come out, but... I blame it on all you retards that said you would come, and then did not!  We wanted to sell this one out bad, and tried hard too!
I might be over re-acting, it was still really fun, and really full.  

14 things that everyone who did not come, missed.

1.  Plastic pants make Mack sweaty.
2.  Kim Virant (one of our special guests) is a great singer, and has a great voice.  But still... True by Spandau Ballet is the longest song ever.  More D- chords than playing So What at 80 bpm.  Oh god, that was a terrible jazz joke!  Thank you Chuck Deardorf for instilling the jazz joke gene inside of me, lol!
3. Lots of make up, and lots of prom dresses, and big freakin hair everywhere I looked.  
4.  It turns out that my outfit for the night (see below) matches perfectly with a tallboy of Pabst Blue Ribbon.  Go to the website above and look for the picture.
5.  Clark Gibson, close friend and total bad ass jazz saxophone player, DESTROYED every sax solo for the night.  They were so epic, and there were so many dips, scoops, bends, reverb and held altisimo notes that I swore I was in heaven.
6.  Chris Ballew of the Presidents Of the United States of America, works a crowd like a madman!  On a side note, I finally got to ask him a question that I have been wanting to ask him since I was an 8 year old boy.  You see, the Presidents cd was the first cd that I ever owned, and my friend Leif LaFuente told me when I was just a kid that the song Peaches was about sex.  No way, absolutely no way.  Well, turns out it is... I took it to the source and asked him in front of everyone!  
7.  Stefan plays a nasty roto-tom.
8.  Stefan plays a nasty A on the old Juno.
9.  Craig sounded great, played more distortion than normal and at one point was rolling around shredding on the ground.
10. I totally forgot how to end a song that we have played a hundred times - blew it mack, you freaking blew it!!!
11.  Jeff wore a very stripy shirt and came up with our new ad campaign for our upcoming club gigs in July.  ("For Two Slices of All American Cheese, come celebrate the birthday of our country at the Triple Door with the Dudley Manlove Quartet!" Haha, perfect.  Nice delivery too Jeff, I have it on mini-disc!)
12.  A un-named friend... Ian Borak... got kicked out of the club because he was supposed to be Prom King, and tried to climb through the DJ to get to the stage!  I tried to get them to let him back in, but that bouncer from Boston is freaking gigantic!
13.  Played a whole set of Keytar.
14.  I was warned against this, and I did not believe it, but the staff at Neumo's started to act like a bunch of tools at the end of the night.  Thats not cool man, were all just trying to have a good time!

These were audience photos, official pics coming soon.

Until next time!

Mack

P.S. Jeff, any video footage on youtube yet?



Looks like I am checking out Stefan, we had a discussion on Facebook about this and that was the consensus. 

Clark is killin it, every time.  I think Craig is singing... lol
Asking Chris my important question.

Getting attacked after the show... who is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment